Sex Education Teaches Us About Our Values, Our Bodies and Our Future
The rights to have control over and decide freely and responsibly on matters related to their sexuality, including:
- sexual and reproductive health.
- free of coercion, discrimination and violence.
- obtain full and accurate information, education, and services; and protect oneself against unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
- Ensuring consent
- Protecting their own health and that of their partners.
- Obtain information about sexuality, gender, and human rights from their families, communities, and the media.
Sexual Norms & Sexual Behaviour
- Gender norms make some boys feel that they are supposed to want sex even when they do not “prove their manhood” early, repeated & sometimes aggressive, heterosexual experience
- Boys are often permitted, or even pressured, to be sexually active, as long as their sexual desires are directed toward females.
- Girls are taught that they receive punishment should not be sexually active prior to marriage.
- Girls may be discouraged or even punished for being sexually active.
- Girls are often socialized to be submissive to their boyfriends /husbands and to men generally.
- People feel pressured to alter their appearance or bodies to conform to cultural ideals of sexual attractiveness.
Sexual and Reproductive Health
Sexual and reproductive health (SRH) is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being in all matters relating to the reproductive system. It implies that people are able to have a satisfying and safe sex life, the capability to reproduce, and the freedom to decide if, when, and how often to do so.
SRH is not just about sex. It is part of a holistic health program starting from an early age teaching values and understanding the anatomy and physiology of our bodies. There are a number of issues in SRH, including:
- Family Planning
- Maternal health
- Infant and child health
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Gender-based violence
Book an Appointment
Need Help? Emergency Assistance
We welcome walk-ins every day. For immediate assistance, call us to book your appointment.